A resume is a potent marketing tool that contains information about one’s educational background, professional experience, and relevant skills. It is not only a document but an overall presentation of the potential of a candidate in question. An interviewer can gauge the capability of a candidate by reviewing his data analyst resume, and determine how the candidate can contribute to the company’s success. According to data collected by the World Economic Forum, Data Analyst jobs are in demand and constitute the most sought after job profile in the upcoming decade.
According to research conducted by IBM, more than 700,000 data analyst jobs will be generated in the coming decade. A Data Analyst’s job consists of various different profiles, including that of a Data Developer, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist, all of which will boom in upcoming years. Hence, it is not only important to be well-versed with techniques to create an eye-catching Data Analyst profile, but also sell yourself through a well-written resume.
Features of a Data Analyst Resume
An effective, well chalked out Data Analyst Resume represents one of the most important factors behind selecting an appropriate Data Analyst. When it comes to various Data Analyst job profiles, one must be careful when it comes to framing a resume, and must ensure that information is presented in proper order; a chronological resume is easily understandable.
Try to put your professional experiences and skills at the starting of the resume. Hiring managers often spend around 6-10 seconds looking at a resume. Being good is not enough; you have to be the best. Two things must be considered in a Data Analyst resume – The content you put forth on a resume, and how effective it is in communicating your worth. Data analyst jobs require specific skills and experiences, and you must put forth relevant information to best represent yourself.
Statistical and Mathematical Skills
Statistical and mathematical skills are a prerequisite to land a good Data Analyst job. Eloquently elaborate on the relevant degrees and training that you received in these areas. An excellent mathematical foundation and analytical skills will help you climb the ladder of success, and crack various Data Analyst job interviews. Showcase any projects and hackathons you may have participated in to prove your proficiency. Employers are always on the lookout for someone who can correlate their experiences effectively, with respect to the job profile in question.
Programming skills are a must mention on a Data Analyst resume, in order for you to be eligible to sit for interviews for high-value roles. If you want to learn how to program in various languages, there are plenty of resources available online, which will help you achieve your dream Data Analysis job. Imbibing a deep understanding of various courses and career prospects will lead to better future opportunities. Knowledge of Python, R, and Statistical Analysis System language will give candidates an upper hand.
The communication skills of a candidate are vital, and they can take his career to new heights. Being a technical wizard is not enough; you should also know how to translate your resume to the world of business, and beyond. Online courses can help groom you so that you can become a valuable asset to any company. Professional, simple, and transparent data and information, must be included.
Skill Sets Required
- Machine Learning Engineer– Programming Languages (Python, C++, and R), Probability and Statistics, Data Modelling techniques.
- Data Architect– Data Visualization, Data Migration, RDBMS, Applied Mathematics, etc.
- Data Scientist– Software Wrangling, Machine Learning, Software Engineering, Data Intuition, etc.
- Business Intelligence Manager– Data Collection & Management, Data Warehousing, Domain Knowledge, SQL Programming.
Points to Remember while Building a Data Analyst Resume
- Mentioning a career objective is essential when you apply for a specific Data Analyst job profile. It helps show your interest and helps you tailor your targets in accordance with the Data Analysis job you are looking for.
- Study about the company you are applying, and find out which programming language they use. For instance, pharmaceutical companies use SAS when it comes to data analysis. A company may be involved in various industries such as paper representation, insurance, and sports, among others, and you should have a working knowledge of their expectations from you. Study their framework and try to mention it on your resume.
- It is great if you can quantify things since Data Analysis jobs require the processing of numbers and values. Mentioning quantitative data handling experiences in your resume will increase your chances of being hired.
- Three things that are a must in your Data Analyst resume are mentioning your- Name, Contact Number and Email Address.
- A resume summary acts as a “Sales Pitch.” It must highlight your Education, Skills, and Achievements.
- Thorough knowledge of the Predictive Modelling Technique is good and must be mentioned.
- Use words like Analyse, Create, Develop, Research, Report, Operate, and Programs, among others. This tends to highlight your ability to deliver.
- Keep it simple, clear, and precise.
- Include coursework to showcase your technical abilities (Data Mining, Machine Learning, Seminars on Business intelligence, and Neural Networking)
- Giving numerical ratings to your skills is not recommended.
- Classify the various Machine Learning techniques you have acquired in your resume, and mention your experiences.
- List project work. Avoid mentioning basic projects or homework projects. Mention projects which were difficult or challenging to do, and are related to the job profile you are looking forward to applying for.
- Use a structured and concise way to demonstrate your accomplishments.
- Industry-specific terminology should be included in your data analyst resume.
- Polish your communication skills and work on the basics of the programming languages you know. This will help you in the technical rounds of job selection procedures, as well as in HR rounds.
- Financial Knowledge and hands-on knowledge in Economics, Accounting, and Risk Management are always a plus point.
A Data analyst resume should contain the expertise, specific to the qualities of a candidate. Different Data Analyst job profiles require different sets of skills, hence build your Data Analyst resume taking this into consideration, and give the process ample time, and proper research. A good resume will constitute information with respect to your experience, and a deep understanding of the domain to which you are applying. Mathematical and Analytical Skills are the essentially required skills for any Data Analyst Job profile. The proper order in which a Data Analyst resume can be framed is:
- Conferences/Seminars attended
- Other Activities related to the Data Analyst job profile in question
If you are looking for an exciting career, now is the right time to up-skill and take advantage of the career opportunities that come your way. Time to make a career transition to become a data scientist, data analyst, machine learning engineer with Springboard India’s online learning programs that comes with 1:1 mentoring, project-based curriculum and career coaching.