Artificial Intelligence (AI) has gained much momentum in recent years and has seen application in various industries. You must be aware of the use of AI in gaming, chatbots, autonomous vehicles, healthcare, banking and scores of other areas. An interesting fact is that as of 2019, the IT industry alone has seen revenue growth of about 200% from AI projects, as stated by content.techgig.com. According to a study, ML and AI are expected to largely impact our daily lives by the year 2025. Owing to the success of AI in day-to-day applications, there’s been a notable increase in artificial intelligence jobs today. So, what’s the artificial intelligence salary you ask? The average salary of an AI engineer in India is INR 14.7 LPA according to Naukri and content.techgig.com and can go as high as INR 25 LPA to INR 40 LPA with work experience. Sounds tempting, right? However, despite ample professionals having expertise in AI skills, the questions on everyone’s mind are “how to learn artificial intelligence?” and “how to get AI jobs?”. Let us dive deep into the topic and see how one can crack an artificial intelligence interview.
6 Tips to Crack an Artificial Intelligence Interview
There’s no secret method to crack an Artificial Intelligence interview. If you’re well prepared and thorough with relevant topics, half the work is done. However, it’s always good to keep some sure shot interview hacks handy before you aim for artificial intelligence jobs. These 6 tips will help you stay ahead in the game and successfully clear artificial intelligence interviews of any difficulty level.
1. Identify the apt AI job role – AI is a vast field and the career options available in this field are multiple. Some AI-related jobs include Software analysts and developers, computer scientists, computer engineers, algorithm specialists and electrical engineers. Also, identify the domain that you’d be interested in building your AI career. Some domains targeting AI are Medicine, Robotics, Engineering, Information Management, Space, Military, etc. Identify the job role that suits your career.
2. Identify good job-hunting platforms – Good job-hunting portals like Naukri, Glassdoor and Indeed have at least 3,000 to 8,000 listings of AI jobs in India. Other popular job portals are Monster, LinkedIn and Placement India. If you wish to explore some options abroad, checkout Job Rapido that lets you find jobs in North America, South America, Europe, Africa and Asia Pacific. If you are a fresher in this field, checkout Freshersworld.com that is designed exclusively for freshers. There is a growing demand for AI professionals in India as top firms like IBM India, Accenture, Hewlett-Packard, Ernst & Young, Genpact, Amazon, Capgemini, etc. are hiring them. Apart from the large-sized companies, the demand for AI professionals is increasing in start-ups as well.
3. Map your skills with the job role – After you have figured out and shortlisted the job role you wish to apply for, map your skills with the job description and see if it meets the criteria. Do not fret if you do not fit all the checkboxes. Show the interviewer that you are willing to learn. If you convince them that you are willing to work hard and learn the skills that you may have not already mastered, there are high chances that they will get impressed and give you the job.
4. Work Experience / Problem Solving Approach; A Win-Win – It goes without saying that prior work experience pays off. Pick one or two key projects from your previous job and explain your approach towards them; how your approach helped arrive at the solution, what were your key achievements, leadership skills you exhibited, etc.
Your interviewers are primarily looking for skills like critical thinking ability, how you implement your knowledge on data sets/use cases, why your approach or algorithm works, your speed and accuracy in solving a problem, ability to create a demo code and the capability to modify any given code. Prepare yourself well to answer questions based on the above skills and be ready with two to three business cases to showcase your problem-solving approach.
5. Gain Proficiency in AI Skills – You need to gain expertise in AI skills to crack the interview and get a job. Neural networks, analytical thinking, Deep Learning, Natural Language Processing (NLP), efficient/cost-effective problem-solving capability, ability to translate technical data into an understandable format, ability to design/retain/repair software programs and a knack to foresee technological innovations that can help the business. You must also be familiar programming languages such as Java, Python, R and Prolog. These are the important skills that you’re expected to have.
6. Talk About the Company – Your knowledge about the firm you’re interviewing with talks about your interest in joining the company and shows how well-informed you’re about the current events. So, make sure to research about the company, showcase why you’ll be an asset to the business, tell them why you chose AI career, disclose any specific AI model/software you want to build and show them that you’re open to feedback. All these points will increase your chances of getting hired.
Apart from the above tips, make sure that you have a good resume. It is rightly said that “A good resume can open many doors”. Create a CV that outlines your educational qualification, work experience, projects that you worked on and your role in each of the projects. Once the interviewer gets to know your background and achievements, it will open an array of possibilities for you and make you stand out from the rest while applying for jobs.
Also, another good way to prepare for your interview is by taking up mock interviews with the help of the mock AI tool. It offers a platform similar to the real interview and provides feedback/tips based on your overall performance, including your body language, gestures and eye contact. You can then work on your strengths and weaknesses, and prepare yourself even better for your actual interview, which could be a great way to deal with interview pressure.
Lastly, excellent communication is essential for clearing any interview, so work on the way you interact with people. Clarity in what you say, making eye contact with each of the interviewers, picking relevant points and talking just what’s required, speaking without stammering and using the right body language, all come under good communication skills.
How to Learn AI
Tech-savvy people like you want to know how to learn artificial intelligence and where to really start. There are ample ways to study AI and its applications if you wish to be an AI engineer and earn a grand artificial intelligence salary. Here are some ways to do it…
- At the outset, learn programming languages like Java, Python, C++ and Ruby on Rails.
- Books like ‘Programming Collective Intelligence’ and ‘Machine Learning: The New AI’ are just two of the many books you can read for a detailed study.
- Learn about Bots from online tutorials/guides and start building them with the help of tools such as Regex, Xpath and Requests.
- Study the basics of Statistics and have a good hold in Math so that you can work with AI/ML algorithms.
- Attend AI seminars and presentations. It serves as one of the best ways to learn about AI and explore its vast horizon through the eyes of AI experts.
- Interact with people online/offline to exchange your ideas and gain a broader perspective on the subject.
- Pick up different problem questions; implement your knowledge by creating a solution to diverse problems and get feedback from people. This will give you hands-on experience in problem-solving and gear you up for a job in AI.
Now that you know the important tips for cracking an artificial intelligence interview, you can check out some of the best AI/machine learning courses offered on Springboard. The top rated AI course offered by Springboard that is 1:1 mentorship-led and project-driven approach and comes along with a job guarantee is your best bet at learning AI skills and getting into AI jobs. The courses are designed to make you industry-ready and guarantee you ML/artificial intelligence jobs, by offering one-on-one coaching directly from business experts. The courses focus on strengthening your AI/data science foundations and improving your skills with real-time projects. Also, check out our interesting blogs on Supervised vs Unsupervised Learning and Reinforcement Learning that can greatly enhance your knowledge in the field.